Monday, November 13, 2017

Art Journal page tutorial with Julie

My turn to share a tutorial with you today and I wanted to share an Art Journal Page I created recently.

I find that my interest in Art Journalling is growing and I just love the variety of techniques that are waiting to be tried.

This is the page


I am using a Finnabair Art Journal that I have had for a few years. I have taken the journal apart so it is easier to work on each page and when I have completed all the pages I will re-assemble it.
The pages in it are a kraft colour so I have applied a light coat of Gesso to tone it down.


I then applied some Mont Marte Modelling Paste through TCW's Mini Cubist stencil


When everything was dry I used Distress Ink's and a blending tool to apply Dusty Concord and Broken China to the entire background.


Extra texture for the background was achieved by stamping with Archival Ink and Carabelle Studio's art stamp XXL "Texture Chevron et Quadrillage"


I then watered down some white acrylic paint and added some splatters all over the page.


It is a bit hard to see in this photo but they are there


To create the flowers I took some book paper and coloured them with an assortment of Thinking H2O's. I used at least 2 shades of each colour and some gold on each of the sheets.


I cut circles in varying sized from the book paper and stuck them to my page using Gel Medium but they faded too much into the background for my liking so I cut more circles from the book paper and corresponding circles from white cardstock to put behind the book paper to make it stand out from the background more.


I attached these with the same Gel Medium. They definitely stood out more but were not really as dark as I would probably have liked.


Outlining the focal points was next. For this I actually used a normal biro. I have done this before and found that it is not waterproof so if you are going to do this be aware of that. This made everything stand out much better.


Now the fun part. Lots of doodling and decorating on the flowers. The white detailing on the flowers is done with a very thick acrylic  (Duncan Scribbles) that I have had in my stash for about 10 years. It is very similar to the Viva Pearl Pen


When I was happy with that I used my Faber Castell Big Brush markers and some water colour paints to add some shading around the flowers and leaves. I used some Gellato's to add a blended border to the page

I added some scribbly details with a Sharpie to the outlines of the flowers and leaves just for a bit of whimsy


 Lastly I added the title with shading.


Hope you have enjoyed my tutorial and I would love to see any pages that this tutorial may have inspired you to make.

Till next time
Hugs



2 comments :